I am in trouble and you can help.
On Tuesday I had a great day helping democracy function by working as an election judge over at Mt. Zion. Sara, my daughter on the coast, however is very, very unhappy with me because this increased my chances of COVID exposure. Now, I don't feel old or vulnerable but I am a caretaker and if I get sick the consequences spiral....
So, I would like someone to step up and take over my role as Election Judge so I can stay home and stay safe(r.). More info here: https://www.ramseycounty.us/residents/elections-voting/election-judges.
Everyone was masked when they came in to vote and we had lots of masks if someone had forgotten theirs. Surfaces were cleaned frequently. Plexiglass shields were all about. Distancing was observed.
I have done this three times now and I can tell you that it is really a wonderfully positive experience. Over the course of the day, the judges evolve into a real team. The system is well-organized and you can appreciate the mechanics of democracy in action. It runs very smoothly and there are good methods of problem-solving in place. If you are assigned to Mt. Zion, it is in a spacious room with good light and good air and includes more than 150 years of St. Paul history. Did you know there is a Mt. Zion Folkways record?
You can even be a judge if you are 16 or 17 years old and have parent and school permission. I'd say this is a great remote learning opportunity. Everyone has to take an online training program that takes about 2 hours.
And you can earn ten dollars, yes, $10 per hour. 6 a.m. until about 9 a.m. for the setup, voting and take down work, that is $150!
So, help me get out of trouble! Please let me know that you are a new recruit for democracy so that I can retire until we have a safer time for public events. Of course, I will be happy to respond to any questions you might have.
Comments
Post a Comment